Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Little Things


************************

The importance of the little things in life is often both forgotten and ignored. However, it really is the simple, little, inconspicuous details that can make a positive difference. I follow a few simple rules that I find always help keep me happy, calm and smiling.

-I always have fresh flowers in the house, whether they be a simple wildflower bouquet or store bought beauties they are a lovely little reminder of the simple beauty that can be found everywhere in life. I like to keep my flowers on my bedside table so that they are the last thing I look at (or smell) before I go to bed and the first thing I see (or smell) when I wake.

-Keep the bathroom counter cleared, I find that in the morning, although I am usually rushed to get out the door, doing the little things like putting the lid back on the toothpaste and hanging up my used towel really help to calm my hectic morning routine.

-Keep lists. I have a moleskin day planner that I honestly would be lost without. I keep a list of the things I need to accomplish, the bills that need paid, the things that need to be bought, cleaned or fixed and the plans/appointments I need to make. I sometimes go so far as to color coordinate (thankyou hi-lighters) my list to add that extra level of organization. I also make great use of the notepad feature of my iPhone - I keep a play by play of each day's commitments, classes, responsibilities and chores and it helps me stay on top like you wouldn't believe!

-I use Caldrea Ginger Pomelo Linen Spray on everything. Freshen up the bed? Why not. May as well do the carpets, curtains, and my closet too. The stuff smells like a dream and really freshens up clothes and keeps that musty, unworn smell at bay!

-Make the bed every morning. Last year, while living abroad in Spain I read an article about how people who make their beds in the morning are more likely to have a prodcutive day. Always looking to boost my productivty levels I figured I'd give it a shot. Being in Spain was the first time since highschool that I was consistently up at 7am every morning and had to be ready to go by a certain time or else... Yet I managed to find that thirty seconds it takes to make the bed and I have committed to the routine ever since. I don't know what it is about it but there's something so nice about making the bed everyday.

-Start every day with a generous glass of lemon water. I use half a lemon to exactly one liter of water (I use a mason jar, so hip I know). I find that by immediately hydrating when I wake up I feel fresher and more alert (no coffee for me) and that I never get that dehydrated feeling later in the day even if I don't drink my usual 4 liters (some call me crazy...)

I'd love to know, what keeps you calm and smiling?


No comments:

Post a Comment